June 26, 2022, 01:41 | Updated: June 26, 2022, 01:49
The Beatles legend was joined by Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen as he headlined the Pyramid stage – and here’s what he played.
Sir Paul McCartney made history this weekend (Saturday June 25) when he became the oldest artist to make headlines Glastonbury’s Pyramid Stadium. The crowd sang happy birthday to the star, who turned 80 last week.
the old Beatles was to headline the festival in 2020, but the event was canceled that year and again in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
McCartney was joined by special guests bruce Springsteen and Dave Grohl for a set that included a number of solo classics, as well as tracks made famous by his project wings. The show was of course loaded with legendary tracks from his career with The Beatles.
McCartney told the crowd that Dave Grohl had traveled from the West Coast of America, but the Foo Fighters man admitted he had been trying to get to the UK from Los Angeles since Wednesday, but cancellations and flight delays had caused problems.
In his first public appearance since the death of drummer Foos Taylor Hawkins, Grohl told the crowd, “I’ll be sure to be here with you.” McCartney added: “He said he would come but I didn’t believe him.”
Grohl performed with McCartney on the first Beatles classic I saw her standing there and the wings anthem Group on the run.
McCartney was joined by Bruce Springsteen for a catchy version of The Boss hit glory day and the old Fab Four song I want to be your man.
Grohl and Springsteen both joined McCartney for the finale as they duel on the Beatles track The endfrom 1969 Abbey Road album.
The set saw McCartney go all the way back to the very first Beatles single, in 1962 Love me, until To come to me and Fuh you from the Egyptian station in 2018. Sir Paul also paid tribute to his comrade John Lennon with the moving song Here today, written shortly after Lennon’s death in 1980, and took his hat off to fellow Beatle george harrison with an interpretation of the classic Something.
Paul McCartney on the Glastonbury Festival 2022 setlist:
- Can’t Buy Me Love (from A Hard Day’s Night by The Beatles)
- Junior’s Farm (Wings)
- Letting Go (from Venus and Mars of Wings)
- Got To Get You Into My Life (from The Beatles Revolver)
- Come to me (from Egypt station)
Let Me Roll It (from Wings’ Band On The Run)
- Become Better (The Beatles)
- Let them in (wings at the speed of sound)
- My Valentine (from Kisses On The Bottom)
- Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (from Wings’ Band On The Run)
- Maybe I’m amazed (of McCartney)
- I just saw a face (of Beatles help!)
- Love Me (The Beatles)
- Dance tonight (from memory almost full)
- Blackbird (from The Beatles White Album)
- Here Today (from Tug Of War)
- New (from New)
- Lady Madonna (The Beatles)
- Fuh You (from Egypt station)
- Be for the benefit of Mr. Kite! (from Beatles’ Sgt Pepper)
- Something (from Beatles’ Abbey Road)
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (from The Beatles White Album)
- You Never Give Me Your Money (from Beatles Abbey Road)
- She came in through the bathroom window (from the Beatles’ Abbey Road)
- Get Back (from The Beatles’ Let It Be)
- I Saw Her Standing There (with Dave Grohl; from Please Please Me by The Beatles)
- Band On The Run (from Wings’ Band On The Run)
- Glory Days (with Bruce Springsteen)
- I Wanna Be Your Man (with Bruce Springsteen; from With The Beatles)
- Let It Be (from Let It Be by The Beatles)
- Live and let die (wings)
- Hey Jude (The Beatles)
- I have a feeling with John Lennon on video; from Let It Be by the Beatles)
- Helter Skelter (from The Beatles White Album)
- Golden Slumbers (from Beatles’ Abbey Road)
- Carry That Weight (from Beatles’ Abbey Road)
- The End (with Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen; from Abbey Road by The Beatles)